Thursday, April 20, 2023

Valour & Fortitude, Village Assault (again)

Receiving the nearly complete latest version of V&T, I decided to run it through Norm’s simple test scenario again. My 15mm troops are double-ranked since there are so few units. 



Since the units were locked in combat at the village, both Prussian flank battalions advanced to give support to the garrison’s attack.



I may have messed up here, this perhaps should have been the Prussian phase. If so, the French got too many dice. 



It looks like I screwed up here. The dice look like the Landwehr won the fight, unless I knocked over a die while removing the cotton ‘smoke’. It’s the sort of mistake that wouldn’t happen with two players. But in a solo game, with much attention to photo ops, all sorts of mischief is possible. In any case, it was a close run thing. If the French legitimately won, they are in need of some serious R&R before standing off a counter-attack. If the Prussians had managed a win, they would be in desperate need of reinforcement before meeting a fresh enemy brigade.

 

Aside from errors about what phase it is, I think the only rules mistake made was allowing melee supports for attackers only. There is a slim chance I can try this once more before our seasonal migration to the north country. 


Why do I make all these errors? So you don't have to. 😉

 

The rules have an unusual feature: you can limit game length by the actual time, and there is a method to pick the winner that makes sense. Each time a unit becomes shaken or routs, the brigade CO gets a setback. Once the brigade fails a Fortitude test, the overall CO (none in my tiny test game) gets a defeat. Add the number of objectives held/taken and the number of defeats inflicted on the foe for your side’s score. Rather neat.



4 comments:

Steve J. said...

Another good run through Vincent and easy to make mistakes when playing solo, making notes and taking photos as I know from experience. I think I still prefer BPII, but the rules do have some neat mechanisms it seems.

JAMES ROACH said...

These rules look interesting. I'm always on the lookout for rules that would do big battles (24+ units a side), especially if they have some interesting 'major morale' rules.

May I ask, how long would this game have taken if you were not blogging it, versus a live opponent?

And, I know what you mean about making silly mistakes when playing solo - it's inherent, I think.

vtsaogames said...

Forgot to note how long the game took: just under 90 minutes. I'm sure with two players it would have been about 60, say 15 minutes per turn. Faster once both players were praticed.

Norm said...

I have also got my player turns muddled with this game - again solo!. The rules are moving on nicely. For the period, at the moment, I am most interested on how rules handle BUA’s. There are plenty of accounts that have repeated attacks and counter-attacks over small villages, but for the most part, our rules seem to allow for one such effort before the clock ticks to end the game.