Friday, April 7, 2023

Shadow of the Eagles, 1815 village attack

Inspired by the 1815 campaign scenario of Norm S (link here https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/ scroll down), I decided to run my own solo with Shadow of the Eagles. A French brigade of 4 regular line battalions and a battery attacks a built-up-area defended by a Prussian regiment of 3 Landwehr battalions and a battery. 


I didn’t write down the time it started, unusually. I think it took 2 hours and 8 turns. I did get a little confused changing sides of the table and taking photos. Normally my battalions are 4 stands, 12 figures strong. I figured with so few units on the table I’d double them up. Casualty figures are used to denote weakened units. I hope to run this again with Valour & Fortitude. Neither rule set is designed for such a small fight. That's better than more units than the rules are designed for. I know that from hard experience. Don’t rag on Norm for having some unpainted figures while he tests things. I’ve tested new rules with cardboard units marked “infantry” and such.

 

Photos of the dust up follow. The Prussians are my only all-AB army. They deserve a better painter. There was no pussy-footing about outflanking the town. This was a straight-up knock-down fight.










The Prussian 2nd in command turned out to be a competent chap, looking much like his previous boss.


Since this is supposed to be part of a campaign, it seemed time for the Prussians to give up the town rather than risk loss of the guns and perhaps both remaining battalions.



The French were victorious but badly in need of some R&R.

 

I like the way the games flows, though running both sides and taking photos had me going. I think no rules mistakes were made but am not sure I registered every hit. Everything that happened made sense, none of that “how on earth did that happen” stuff. The charge was highly interesting, like things I've read about. If there had been a Prussian reserve unit on hand, the counter-attack would have been something.


Edit: I used the new rules, which tone down the skirmish screen a bit. Liked 'em.

No comments: