Friday, August 23, 2019

DBA: Huns, Franks and Romans


Last evening we played two DBA games. First up saw new recruit Carl take the all-mounted version of the Huns against my standard early Frankish army.
















It turns out I made a rules error on the camp. Camp defenders and attackers use the factor against foot in all cases. I was looking at the close combat factors and this little gem was in the paragraph above that. Well, I’ll likely not make that error again. For sake of the narrative, perhaps the Huns had bribed someone in the camp to leave part of the barricade undefended. As Philip (Alexander’s dad) said, no city can count itself impregnable that has a postern gate large enough to admit an ass laden with gold.

After dinner with wine and conversation, the second game saw Rick take Attila’s Huns against Andrew’s Western Patrician Romans.













I managed not to make any critical rules errors in this game. One of Andrew’s cataphract units pretty much won the battle by the simple expedient of rolling high dice several times in a row, after other Roman units had made a less than stellar start.

Edit: I goofed here too: Attila could retreat some distance before hitting the friends who were not facing exactly the same direction. If they started out in such contact they could not recoil. Good thing I have the Fanaticus website to check out rules interpretations.

I must sometime play against the Franks so their pretty shields get into the photos.

Next game will be September 5, and then a hiatus until sometime in October.  

1 comment:

Konstantinos Travlos said...

Good show. I myself am getting into Aurelian!