Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Photo time: 69th NY, a Vauban Fortress

I decided to post some photos of figures and a fortress.

First up, a 54mm (2 1/8 inches) color sergeant of the 69th NY. Thomas' Tin Soldiers were designed, sculpted and produced by my late friend Tom Loback. He did prodigious research into the regimental flags in his line. He persuaded the regimental armory in New York City to let him photograph the actual colors of the 69th. As you can see, my photography doesn't do this justice. I'm better with 15mm figures at longer range. 
Next up is a 15mm scale Vauban fortress. These forts were effective from the late 17th Century until the late 19th Century, when the increasing range and power of artillery rendered them obsolete. Bill's French Seven Year War figures and some of my siege artillery shelter behind the walls and the covered way that crowns the glacis. The glacis was designed to protect the base of the walls from artillery fire. That was where solid shot was aimed to breach walls. Besiegers needed to advance their works onto the glacis to get a shot at the base, usually requiring that the covered way be stormed. The glacis was also designed to be devoid of cover, and that muskets laid on it from the covered way or along the fortress walls would send shots grazing just above the surface - in short, a killing zone. Bastions and ravelins were designed to cover each other against assaults with enfilade (flanking) fire.




According to Duffy's "Fire and Stone", fortresses in the Iberian Peninsula were made using the old Roman concrete recipe and usually required twice as many cannon shots to make a practicable breach.

After visiting the fortress of Naarden in the Netherlands, I suspect the entire fort of Ticonderoga in upstate New York would fit into one of Naarden's bastions. Both are star forts but of different size.

I have toyed with ideas for siege rules for decades. I'm starting to think of them again. My favorite simple close combat rules are those in Bloody Big Battles. There are 3 levels of fortifications: rifle pits (1), entrenchments (2) and forts (3). Going by that system, I'd rate besieger's works as rifle pits, the covered way as entrenchments and the fortress walls as forts. I think that would cover storms quite well. Now to figure out the rest, with fortress/besieger morale, ammunition, food, effect of bombardment, etc. Holding your breath waiting for my results is likely hazardous to your health. 

2 comments:

Ed M said...

Tom Loback! One of my prize possessions is a Thomas' Toy Soldier Iron Brigade color bearer. I also fondly recall checking out the displays at the General Artwork/Dragoon Tooth booth at Gen Cons back "in the day"...such a distinctive and imaginative line. Gelmen were among my favorites, and I had one of their dragons as well. He is missed; thanks for the blast from the past.

James Fisher said...

Lovely figures, but what a brilliant looking fortress!