Saturday, September 24, 2022

Twilight of the Romans III, did someone say Adrianople?

We played another game of Twilight of the Britons. When played on the continent, I call it Twilight of the Romans. Bill took the Gothic warriors while I had the Romans and their Germanic and Hun foederates. We opted for 2 dimensional hills, since the troops don’t slide off the slopes.  Dice determined Bill started deploying first and then moved first. I deployed two of my heroes with light skirmishing units and will not do that again if they have heavy units in their warbands. Both sides deployed with gaps in their battle lines, something I suspect is another mistake. But on with the game.



























We played a little over an hour, then broke for dinner and conversation. The armies were intertwined. After dinner, another 20 minutes sufficed to see the sky fall on the Romans. Even if they hadn’t reached breakpoint, they were in trouble. The Gothic cavalry that chased the Monks and their attached hero off the table pulled up before they rode off after them. Another turn or two would see them turn about and fall on the rear of my right shield wall. We played 7 turns in about an hour and 35 minutes.

 

Another lesson: heavy cavalry making frontal attacks on heavy infantry shield walls is not an optimal tactic.

 

The rules need some further polishing. Some might think missiles are too powerful. I need to see some more games before deciding. Hey, most of those armies spent a lot of time throwing things at each other. Next week I will see about getting a Hun army against a Gothic army, no Romans to be seen.

4 comments:

Codsticker said...

I really like your armies. I also enjoy the text in the photos- I have to figure out how to do that.

vtsaogames said...

Thank you. I use MS Paint, the old version, not the 3D one. Use a photo to mess around with. Create a text box, enter text, change the color, font and size until you like it.

I find the 3D version can get some inresting effects but then I lose control. Back to the old stuff.

Balagan said...

thanks for sharing Vincent. Just one question, what is the code you are using with the arrows? Black arrow = rout etc.

vtsaogames said...

Ah yes, explaining the arrows would help. Red arrows = charge/impetuous advance, yellow = recoils, black (flip side of yelow) = rout.